QSource | Q1.7 Shield Lock
Weather | 80° F | Humidity 74% | Wind: 14mph SSE
7 Pax continued our leadership study: QSource. If anyone feels inclined to lead one these discussions there is a signup sheet on the Q schedule. This morning we continued the first quadrant Get Right with Q1.7: Shied Lock.
Q1.7| Shield Lock
The Horizontal Relationship Between Men
Ecclesiastes 4:12 (NIV) Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.
- Are some men born to be lone wolves?
- Do Communities benefit when men combine?
- Can a man begin the fight against adversity before he encounters it?
Man hunts best in a pack
- Eyes to the side have the animals that hide. Eyes up front have the animals that hunt.
- It is our ability to hunt together in a very complex way that puts man at the very top of the food chain. No other animal can do that.
- The man-pack hunts differently. Instead of focusing solely on his prey, a man also works cooperatively with other men in the pack to see what might be behind him.
- He is blind to his Six unless another man watches it for him.
- Six: The posterior end.
Men recognize the Advantage of mutual defense
- Man the hunter is also born hard-wired to protect himself and his loved ones from other hunters.
- The HIM locks his shield with other HIMs to protect the people behind the wall.
- A healthy Community will have multiple Shield Locks, groups of 3 to 5 men who form the horizontal relationships that protect and enrich us all.
Acceleration of the Shield Lock requires Preparedness
- If a man’s horizontal relationships with other men are decelerating (or worse, non-existent), there will be no jangling alarm to warn him of the danger. Gradually, he will become accustomed to trying to hunt and defend alone.
- The HIM, because he’s turned Pro, treats his Shield Lock like every other essential Guardrail in his life, by Bricklaying to increase Preparedness.
- A Club is a loose combination of people seeking companionship. Its only real requirement for existence is some means by which it satisfies its participants’ desire to briefly combine.
- A Team is a Proximate combination of two or more people formed to perform a specific mission for the benefit of a Community, an Organization or both.
- An Effective Team is governed by the rule of 3P, meaning that its members must be in Proximity, have Purpose and meet periodically.
- The Shield Lock also has a Purpose beyond mere companionship. It is the means by which we fight the Flux, which is the emotional reaction to the peaks and valleys that appear
throughout a man’s life.
- By locking shields with other men, the HIM hedges his brother’s peak against his own valley, and vice-versa.
- Man hunts best in a pack
- Men recognize the Advantage of mutual defense
- Acceleration of the Shield Lock requires Preparedness
Homework for 4/20
Thoughts for the week:
- What is the purpose of mentorship?
- Are there any required components to Effective mentorship?
- How does a mentor benefit?