Week 11 | Killing Kryptonite
Weather | 78° F | Wind: none
5 Pax continued the book study at Adventure Park at 6:15 for the eleventh week of Killing Kryptonite. This week we watched a video of the author’s testimony about escaping his personal kryptonite. Next week is the last week for this book!
The reading assignment was chapters 24-26.
- What is True Love?
- What distinguishes the Love of God from the world’s Love?
- What is the difference between worldly sorrow and Godly sorrow?
- What is meant by sins that are not sins?
Chapter 24 – Love and Truth
Ephesians 4:14-15 (NLT) Then we will no longer be immature like children. We won’t be tossed and blown about by every wind of new teaching. We will not be influenced when people try to trick us with lies so clever they sound like the truth. 15 Instead, we will speak the truth in love, growing in every way more and more like Christ, who is the head of his body, the church.
- Protect ourselves from deception in false teachings.
- Truth without love directs us down the road of legalism. Love without truth is not Love.
- Blind man heading straight for a cliff, you don’t show him love by encouraging him.
- View life in eternal context: “I care enough about you to make you uncomfortable for a few moments to save you from an eternity of suffering.
What is True Love? – What distinguishes the love of God from the world’s love?
1 John 5:3 (NKJV) For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome.
2 John 1:6 (NIV) And this is love: that we walk in obedience to his commands. As you have heard from the beginning, his command is that you walk in love.
- Being kind, patient, tender, not jealous, not boastful, but while cheating or consenting of (silence) sexual immorality, that is not true love. It is worldly love.
- There are some things God wants us to do even when we don’t understand the why.
- Eve in the Garden of Eden, avoiding fruit from the tree of knowledge of good and evil.
- We must speak up against the sin, in a loving (eternal picture) way.
- Spend time with God and ask him to fill you more with his love.
Chapter 25 – Killing Kryptonite
- Three scenarios plague believers when it comes to sin:
- Those who overlook sin, they have hardened hearts, their conscience is compromised.
- Those who have the mindset: “We are all sinners by nature, Jesus’ blood will free us from penalty of sin” …but not bondage of sin. Romans 6:1-2.
- Those who struggle to break free, they want out but sin has a grip on them. These people should not punish themselves, this only diminishes the sacrifice that Jesus made for us.
- Author was addicted to pornography. Even after being saved, through college, after marriage.
- Author was still addicted after prayer with Lester Sumrall, not freed until 9 months later after deep in prayer with the Holy Spirit and fasting. Why?
- You can win multitudes to Jesus, get many free, heal many sick, & still end up in hell.
- Judas left his job, followed Jesus, preached gospel, healed people, he’s in hell.
- Chase after Jesus, and relationship with him instead of ministry.
- 2 Corinthians 7:9-10 (NIV) yet now I am happy, not because you were made sorry, but because your sorrow led you to repentance. For you became sorrowful as God intended and so were not harmed in any way by us. 10 Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death.
- The focus of sorrow was on God and not the world.
Biblical Example of Godly Sorrow vs Wordly Sorrow
1 Samuel 15:30 (NLT) Then Saul pleaded again, “I know I have sinned. But please, at least honor me before the elders of my people and before Israel by coming back with me so that I may worship the Lord your God.”
2 Samuel 12:13 (NIV) Then David confessed to Nathan, “I have sinned against the Lord.” Nathan replied, “Yes, but the Lord has forgiven you, and you won’t die for this sin.
Jesus’s free gift not only frees us from the penalty of sin, but the bondage of sin also.
- God will deliver us from our sin if we take action and pursue him, with the right motives.
- Make time to seek God, take retreats if you have to. Seek him.
- Humble yourself and let Godly leaders pray over you and speak into your life.
Chapter 26 – The Sin That’s Not Sin
Luke 14:16-20 (NLT) Jesus replied with this story: “A man prepared a great feast and sent out many invitations. 17 When the banquet was ready, he sent his servant to tell the guests, ‘Come, the banquet is ready.’ 18 But they all began making excuses. One said, ‘I have just bought a field and must inspect it. Please excuse me.’ 19 Another said, ‘I have just bought five pairs of oxen, and I want to try them out. Please excuse me.’ 20 Another said, ‘I just got married, so I can’t come.’
- Excuses communicate that what they want to do is more important than your request. There are more important priorities to you.
- These other priorities are not a sin: Purchasing a field, trying out oxen, having a wife etc… it is a sin if it becomes more important than the Lord.
- Author’s testimony of his unhealthy Dallas Cowboys addiction. The Dallas cowboys were more important than God at that particular moment God was calling for him in prayer.
- Same thing happened with his love for golf, so he gave up golf and gave away his equipment. Then when golf was no longer out of place for him, God gave him golf equipment, told him to play golf and used it for good.
1 Timothy 6:17 (NLT) Teach those who are rich in this world not to be proud and not to trust in their money, which is so unreliable. Their trust should be in God, who richly gives us all we need for our enjoyment.
God desires us to enjoy this life, He just wants to remain at the top of our priority list.
Back to the parable, the servant was told to invite everybody to the banquet, poor, crippled, blind, the house should be so full that there is no longer room for those that had excuses
- Ask God to speak to you about anything in your life that has become an excuse to keep you from responding to Him.
- Ask God for his perspective on these things.
- Ask God for the courage and strength to remove everything in your life that is not pleasing to Him.
- The next week’s reading assignment is Chapters 27-28.
- Please finish reading the book by next Saturday 9/15.
Thought for the week:
What is Holiness? Why are super hero movies the most popular of all time?
What is one thing that you learned and can take away from this book?
In what ways (if any) will you look at life or approach life differently?