Week 12 | Holy Super Heroes| Conclusion
Weather | 83° F | Humidity: 97% | Wind: 5mph W
3 Pax continued the book study at Adventure Park at 6:15 for the final week of Killing Kryptonite. This was the epic conclusion of our Killing Kryptonite book study. Thank you to all of the Pax who attended any of the meetings at either AO (Adventure Park and Celery Fields) over the past 12 of the weeks. I hope your 3rd F is a little bit stronger now because of it.
The reading assignment was chapters 27-28.
Holy Super Heroes
- After reading chapter 27, in your own words, how would you describe holiness?
- What are the two different kinds of holiness?
- What reason is offered as to why Super Hero movies are the most popular?
- What is one thing that you learned and can take away from this book?
- Are there anyways that you will approach or look at life a little differently now?
Chapter 27 – The Banquet Door
Revelation 3:20 (NLT) “Look! I stand at the door and knock. If you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in, and we will share a meal together as friends.”
- Notice the words “If you hear”. Jesus is talking to the church, believers.
- What is keeping us believers from hearing?
Holiness – Its the only description of the church that Jesus is coming back for
- There are 2 types of Holiness:
- Positional Holiness
- Ephesians 1:4 (NLT) Even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us in Christ to be holy and without fault in his eyes.
- You hold the position of a husband / wife. You change your behavior (or you should) once you have that position.
- Behavioral Holiness
- 1 Peter 1:14-15 (NLT) So you must live as God’s obedient children. Don’t slip back into your old ways of living to satisfy your own desires. You didn’t know any better then. 15 But now you must be holy in everything you do, just as God who chose you is holy.
- Notice the word must, this is describing something that we all must do.
- Hebrews 12:14-15 (NKJV) Pursue peace with all people, and holiness, without which no one will see the Lord: 15 looking carefully lest anyone fall short of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up cause trouble, and by this many become defiled;
- Notice the word pursue, this is behavioral holiness.
- We are already holy by our position, like we are already husbands, but to be true husbands we also have to act like it.
- Positional Holiness
Hebrews 12:14 (NKJV) Pursue peace with all people, and holiness, without which no one will see the Lord:
What is meant by we won’t “…see the Lord” ?
Seeing the Lord:
Consider the President of the United States: We are all under his jurisdiction and leadership, but never actually met him in person. There are privileged people that see him regularly and are frequently in his presence. While others may know lots of facts about the president, they are completely unfamiliar with a close relationship with him.
John 14:21 (NLT) “Those who accept my commandments and obey them are the ones who love me. And because they love me, my Father will love them. And I will love them and reveal myself to each of them.”
John 15:14 (AMPC) You are My friends if you keep on doing the things which I command you to do.
Those who know Jesus, his friends, obey him.
Holiness is the entryway to a true relationship with Jesus. Don’t block the doorway. Don’t only teach covering grace (positional holiness) and exclude empowering grace (behavioral holiness).
- Holiness is a password, a key for entry.
- God’s grace empowers us to live holy lives.
- Name the area of your life that you need grace the most and pray that God will fill you with grace to overcome everything that hinders you from hearing Him.
Chapter 28 – Arise
Why are superhero movies so popular?
We all know we were created for more. Superheroes model our internal longings. We revel in superheroes prevailing over evil because it satisfies our innermost longings.
Isaiah 42:13 (NLT) The Lord will march forth like a mighty hero; he will come out like a warrior, full of fury. He will shout his battle cry and crush all his enemies.
Revelation 19:12-15 (NLT) His eyes were like flames of fire, and on his head were many crowns. A name was written on him that no one understood except himself. 13 He wore a robe dipped in blood, and his title was the Word of God. 14 The armies of heaven, dressed in the finest of pure white linen, followed him on white horses. 15 From his mouth came a sharp sword to strike down the nations. He will rule them with an iron rod. He will release the fierce wrath of God, the Almighty, like juice flowing from a winepress.
The Lord is a warrior.!
Revelation 3:21 (NKJV) To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.
- Why would Jesus say, “to him who overcomes”? There is an evil to overcome.
- Superman was the only one that could stop Lex Luther, but Lex Luther employed kryptonite to give him the upper hand.
- Satan hides / disguises kryptonite so we won’t recognize it.
- God is still in the miracle business. Examples the author has witnessed:
- A pastor’s son born with brain damage, the doctors said he would never talk or walk. God told the pastor to speak to his son’s brain to create a new one. It worked!
- Jesus appeared at a church and his face left an imprint on the wall.
- Paramedics wheeled the gurney of man on a stage with less than 24 hours left, he was completely healed.
- Out of control fires stopped, storms calmed, deaf hear, crippled walk, his friend has raised people from the dead.
John 20:21 (NIV) Again Jesus said, “Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.”
John 14:12 (NLT) “I tell you the truth, anyone who believes in me will do the same works I have done, and even greater works, because I am going to be with the Father.”
If we believe in Jesus we can do the same and even greater works than him!
Acts 4:13 (NLT) The members of the council were amazed when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, for they could see that they were ordinary men with no special training in the Scriptures. They also recognized them as men who had been with Jesus.tell you the truth, anyone who believes in me will do the same works I have done, and even greater works, because I am going to be with the Father.
Their boldness caught the attention of everyone and they immediately associated them with Jesus.
We are called by God to be super heroes in life. BE strong, courageous and draw close to the King. Our impact will not be fully known until we stand before his throne. Annihilate kryptonite, embrace your eternal destiny!
- God is a warrior, we were made to be like him, born for greatness.
- Ask God what battle he is calling you to fight, what region he is calling you to reach.
- Pray for God to pour His grace on you to accomplish your purpose.
There is no more Killing Kryptonite homework. Keep your eyes open for the preblast of our next book study.
Thought for the week:
Are you living up to your full potential in Christ? Do you have any kryptonite lingering that you need to annihilate?